Wednesday, June 1, 2011

spicy half-fast gyros

The problem with a lot of sauces, spreads, and dressings that are "low fat" is that they just suck. They don't taste like the real thing or they try to be cute by adding big chunks of things that shouldn't be chunked to distract your palette from the fact that the sauce sucks. Such is the case with Trader Joe's low fat Tzatziki sauce. Almost everything we have bought from Trader Joe's is great, but this, pardon my French, is a real stinker. I bought this sauce to use as a dip for the naan I talked about in this post. The sauce has big chunks of cucumber in it and is way runnier than real Tzatziki sauce. On the plus side, it is only 30 calories for a 2 tablespoon serving.

My wife wanted to chuck this sauce, but I had an idea for it. Here it is:

Take your food processor and dump the whole tub of sauce in it. Add a habanero. Pulse the mix to your desired thickness. Although I didn't do it, I believe you could thicken this sauce with plain Greek yogurt and it will taste good. If it doesn't taste good, send a message to my complaint department, which can be reached by clicking here. Regardless, doing these simple things made the sauce way better and gave me the heat I like. The creaminess of the sauce tames the habanero to some extent.

To make my half-fast gyros, you'll need a think steak (about 4 oz), good tomatoes, and a sweet onion. You'll also need a conduit for these goodies; I found these tortilla breads, which are like pitas, but probably more calories than pitas. Regardless, they were only 140 calories, so no harm no foul. By the way, these gyros are half-fast because they are quick to make and completely non-authentic.

Back to the cooking...grill up the steak. Cut the onions in thin slices and cut the tomatoes in wedges. When the steak is done, throw the bread in the steak pan to warm it up. Add the veggies, chop the steak and add it, add the sauce, fold the bread, and enjoy.

For those counting calories, one of these gyros, which are quite big, especially if you load up on the tomatoes and onions, is between 350 and 400 calories. Add a standard size serving of rice for a side and you got a huge dinner for 600 calories.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share