Monday, July 11, 2011

egg white omelette

An egg white omelette on its own is boring and bland. I used to think of an egg white omelette with cheese as a tasteless entity that was just there. It lends itself to being consumed along with some fatty meats or high carb pastries. Of course you could eat a bowl of fruit with it, but since I am not a fan of most fruit, that's not an option for me.

A couple of weeks ago, I had the Coach Lyng at Vic's in Pleasanton, CA and it opened my eyes to a whole new way to eat an omelette. Basically, I ditched the cheese and replaced the flavor of the cheese with some good salsa.



Here's how I make my omelettes now:
3 eggs, whites only
2 tbs chopped mushrooms
1 tbs small diced bell pepper
1 tbs small diced red onion
1 tbs jalapeno spread
1/4 tbs butter
cooking spray
several tbs of your favorite salsa

Chef's note: spray the pan with cooking spray first. Why use the cooking spray and butter? The cooking spray is to lubricate the pan so the omelette doesn't stick. The butter is to saute the veggies so they don't brown as easy. The veggies will brown quick with just the cooking spray and the omelette will stick if you use the little amount of butter I recommend.

Melt the butter in a small fry pan. Saute all the veggies until soft. Add in the eggs. When the eggs are no longer runny, fold over both sides. Top with copious amounts of salsa. I like Trader Joe's Salsa Verde on this omelette.

I originally made this omelette with a bit of reduced fat cheese and a side of my baked red potato wedges, which is what I showed in the accompanying picture. I think the salsa and no cheese option is way more tasty and filling.

3 comments:

Hi,

I've tried this once before but it was when blogger was down so maybe you didn't receive it?.... This URL used to belong to me. I deleted my blog, and you took the URL which is fine. But there's been a blip somewhere and all my old subscribers are still getting this blog. It's making me more than a little uncomfortable as I'm sure you understand. Any thoughts? Are you able to see your subscribers?

I don't know what the issue is. Contact Google and they may be able to help. I don't have any control over it.

Thanks - I added this blog to Petitchef. Looks like a great site!

Post a Comment

Share