Sunday, May 22, 2011

carne en jocon

I bought 1,001 Best Hot and Spicy Recipes last week and cooked my first recipe out of there this weekend. I made the carne en jocon, which is a Guatemalan beef, tomato, and tomatillo dish. It was rated as "medium" hot. I suspect this is because it calls for 2 serranos in it. At first you might say this should be rated "hot". However, the directions tell you to take out the seeds and insides of the chilies. This made the dish "mild" instead of "medium". I hit it with El Yucateco XXXtra Hot Kutbil-ik Mayan Style Habanero Hot Sauce to bring back the heat. If you make this dish, I highly recommend using this hot sauce with it. The flavors are great together.

This dish is really good and a lot different than what you might normally cook on a Sunday night. If you want the recipe, either buy the book I listed above (it's $13 for 1001 recipes) or google it. I'm not going to put it here because I followed the recipe exactly and I don't want to reprint it without permission.

Another good thing about this dish is that it is kid friendly(!) and really healthy. I picked some of the beef out, which is super moist and flavorful, shredded it up, and served it with white rice and my 3 year old liked it. He tried the hot sauce on the side and wasn't a fan. Actually I thought he was going to punch me for letting him try it. I warned him...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share