Tuesday, May 17, 2011

zucchini fish

Sticking with this week's theme of peppers, I thought I'd post one of my favorite recipes, zucchini fish. Why do I call it "zucchini fish"? Because "pepper fish" sounds stupid. This is a great summer dish and it's a "30 minute meal". Tee hee. Blechhh.

The following contains a stunning lack of specifics on ingredients. In a lot of cases I'll do this because you know what you like and, much like with wine selections, there are no wrong answers. Here's what you need:
some mild fish, like tillapia
some of your favorite veggies
your favorite olive oil (hmmm maybe I'll make some jalapeno infused olive oil)

Here's what you do:
1. Heat the oven up to 350. You can heat it on the grill if it's hot out, but you need the temperature controlled, so be careful with the grill.
2. Pick your favorite veggies and slice them up. Mine are some bell or sweet peppers, some jalapenos, sweet onions, mushrooms, and zucchini. I put a ton of veggies with my fish when I bake it because the flavors meld together great.
3. Heat the veggies in a frying pan until they're soft. Notice I didn't tell you to use any butter or margarine. Why? It's wasted calories/ other garbage that aren't needed here. Simple cooking spray is all that is needed to keep the veggies from sticking. I also recommend putting a healthy dose of garlic powder on the veggies and a little salt and pepper.
4. Rip off a pretty big piece of foil and paint the area where the fish will lie with a thin layer of olive oil. Put one fish fillet on each piece of foil and top it with the veggies. Wrap them tight and put them on a cookie sheet.
5. Bake for 20 min. Hit them with some Tapatillo hot sauce for added flavor.

A good side dish with this meal is zucchini couscous, In this recipe I cut down the butter used, ditched the saffron because I'm cheap, and used low fat, low sodium chicken broth. Hit it with Tapatillo to bring out the flavor.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share